While working with your hp laserjet pro 400 Printer, hp laserjet pro 200 printer, or HP PageWide printer, you might come across certain error messages. One of the most commonly faced errors is the hp 49 service error. The error might occur because of a possible communication failure between the printer and the computer. This error code 49 might be accompanied with other numerals but 49 usually means a firmware communication error.
Whenever, you give a print command to any model of HP printer, HP tests printer firmware before release. This is done by HP in order to reduce the occurrence of 49 errors. However, there could be other reasons behind this problem which we will discuss in the next section. The error can be either intermittent or persistent.
The intermittent error can be cleared by restarting the printer. On the other hand, the continuous attempts to clear the intermittent error results in a persistent error and cannot be cleared by restarting the printer.
What causes hp printer 49 service error?
As already mentioned, that this particular error occurs when you give such a print command which the firmware is not capable of or is not designed to handle it, then you may come across this error. This happens when:
- You try to print files using inappropriate or unsupported print commands.
- The printer is interfacing with something that is not appropriate to work with it.
- Network traffic is restricting the printer to print.
- There are concurrent print jobs in a specific print environment.
- Invalid print commands
- Damaged data transfer
- Invalid operations
- Registry errors
Steps to fix hp error 49
If you are still confused, why you are getting this error, then you may take the help of HP printer Assistant which is an in-built print management software. Try the following steps to get rid of the error immediately:
- Firstly, you have to turn off the printer and then power it on again.
- This will probably resolve the issue. If not, continue with the next step.
- Print an Event Log from your to know how often this error takes place.
- In case, if the Event Log shows a frequency of one time per week, then you should not consider it as an alarming situation. If it is more, then it is a cause to worry.
- In case you see that the error occurs more times in a week, then ensure that the ‘Auto-Recovery’ is enabled.
- You can do this by navigating to the control panel or from the Embedded Web Server (EWS).
- In general, this feature is enabled by default and the power cycling process takes place automatically. But, sometimes this may not be the case.
- To enable the ‘Auto Recovery’ mode:
- Select the ‘Administration’ option.
- Now, select ‘Management’ followed by ‘Settings’.
- Click on ‘General’.
- Tap on the ‘Auto-Recovery’ option.
- Click on the ‘Enabled’ option and then click ‘Save’.
If the error persists
If you continue to face the same error again and again, then you may need to uninstall the printer and then reinstall it again. You can do the reinstallation by navigating to 123.hp.com/setup. You can also try to clear out the registry. The ‘Registry’ is a large database inside the Windows of the device you are using. The Windows registry stores important settings for performing the functions and operations needed for the computer to run. To clear the registry, you can download a registry cleaner and let it clean out all the errors.