Whenever you plug in the charger and connect it to the laptop, the LED light usually starts to glow. This indicates that your laptop is being charged properly. Sometimes, your display also gets brighter when you plug in the charger. But what if none of this happens even after plugging in the laptop? This has become an annoying situation for the users of HP laptops. This may happen because of various reasons that are discussed in the upcoming sections. One of the main reasons why this happens is because of the power settings of your Windows device (Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7). Therefore, let us know the quickest solution to fix this issue before your battery completely drains out.
The solution to fix laptop not charging issue
- First of all, go to ‘Settings’ and click ‘Power and Sleep’.
- Locate the ‘Screen’ and ‘Sleep’ menus and check their values.
- Make sure that the values are not too low as these will define the values for system inactivity when turned on.
- Scroll down to find ‘Additional’ power settings. This will open the list of power plans.
- From here, select ‘Change’ present against your current plan.
- Check the settings and make sure that no settings are done in such a way that results in an unexpected shutdown.
- Now, select ‘Change advanced power settings’. This present near the bottom of the power plan.
- Here, you may select the option which will bring back the default settings but it will erase the power settings made by you.
- Click ‘OK’ to save the changes and then restart your system.
Why is my HP laptop saying plugged in but not charging?
There could be various reasons why this is happening with your laptop so you need to check thoroughly so that you can reach out to a solution. The first thing you need to check in this situation is the power cable of the laptop. Sometimes, there is a fault in the wire of the charger or you are using a wrong battery device driver. Another reason could be an outdated driver so you must use the updated ones. Even if after updating the driver, you still face a similar situation, then you must check for the problem with BIOS. It helps in managing the connection between the operating system and laptop hardware devices. If the BIOS settings are faulty, there might be hardware issues. In case the problem persists, you may get your laptop serviced or speak to an HP representative via HP Chat.
HP laptop battery not charging when plugged in?
Even after checking everything and following the aforementioned steps, if your laptop still doesn’t charge, then you must do the following:
- Using the HP Assistant, you must run a battery check and install the required software.
- If you see that ‘Health Check Status’ show ‘Replace’, then you must replace the battery.
- Update the BIOS of your HP device by visiting the support website of HP.
- You might need to replace the system board if nothing helps.
If you continue to face this issue, then you must seek expert guidance from representatives of HP Customer Service. They will find out a good solution to get rid of this problem as soon as possible.